Las Habichuelas con Dulce, sweet cream of beans or sweet beans, is one of the favorite desserts of the Dominicans. It is customary to prepare it during Lent especially during Holy Week. Everyone puts their personal touch. This is a delicious dessert typical of the Dominican Republic and unique … I know you will like it.
Habichuelas con Dulce, Dominican Sweet Beans
2 ½ cups (1 Pound = ½ kg) of red kidney beans cooked in 3 liters of water.
2 cinnamon sticks
½ teaspoon of sweet cloves
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg fresh
2 ounces fresh chopped ginger or ½ teaspoon ground ginger
5 cups of milk (1 liter)
1 can = 2 cups (13.5 oz.) Of Coconut milk or Coconut milk taken with ½ cup of hot water
½ teaspoon of salt
3 cups of sugar (600 g) or to taste
2 Tablespoons margarine or butter (30 g)
2 pounds of peeled sweet potatoes, diced and cooked
1 cup of raisins (227 g)
Guarina milk cookies – to taste
1. Clean and wash the beans and soften with about 2-3 liters of water. It should be enough to cover the beans. I use three liters.
2. Already soft, liquefy with everything and water and pass through a sieve 2 times, putting a little milk if necessary to strain easier.
3. Add the milks and mix well, then the sugar, salt and spices except the nutmeg.
4. Bring to a high heat until it boils, stirring with a wooden spoon constantly for 15-20 minutes, depending on the size of the pot it may last more or less to thicken. Lower the heat a little, add the sweet potatoes (already salcochadas apart and departures) and the raisins. Let cook for 5-10 more minutes or until it thickens a little.
5. Before removing from heat, add butter and 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg.
6. After 5 minutes, remove from heat, let cool for 15 minutes, add the milk cookies to your liking and serve. When cooling you should keep stored in the refrigerator. You can serve hot or cold.
I hope you like it and take advantage of this recipe of beans with sweet.