11 Mar Recipe for Colombian empanadas vallunas
The empanadas colombianas vallunas , are native to the Valle de Cauca, in the South West of that Latin American country, however they can be eaten throughout Colombia where they enjoy great popularity. If you do not know them today at Unreceta.com, we present them to you and explain step by step how to do them at home.
They are a rich breakfast, but as an appetizer they are perfect, as are these cassava rolls stuffed with cheese or these plantain tostones . Pure Latin flavor!
That said, it gathers everything you need to make some tasty Colombian empanadas vallunas .
For the filling:
- 1/4 kg. of meat
- 1/4 kg. of pork
- 1/2 kg. of potatoes
- 2 long onions
- 1 onion
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 2 tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon of color
- 1 teaspoon marinade
- 1/2 cup of water
- Olive oil
- Black pepper
For the mass:
- 2 cups precooked cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 cups of warm water
- 1 teaspoon of color
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- 1 spoon of sugar
Preparation of the Colombian empanadas vallunas
- You will start cutting the meat. Then, place it in a pot, cover with water and add a clove of peeled garlic, a long onion and half an onion. Add a little salt, marinade and cook for an hour and a half.
- After the time strained the broth with a sieve, let the meat cool to be able to shred and reserve.
- Peel the potatoes, cut them into small cubes and boil them with the cooking broth that you reserved. Once cooked, drain and crush with a fork. Reservation.
- To make the stew, chop the rest of the onion, the long onion and the garlic in squares. Peel the tomatoes, remove the seeds and chop.
- Heat the oil and sauté the onion. When it softens, add the garlic, tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add cumin, color, water, salt and pepper and crumbled meat. Incorporate the potatoes, integrate and reserve until it is tempered.
- To make the dough, mix all the ingredients (flour, cornstarch, water, color, vegetable oil, sugar, salt) in a bowl and mix with your hands until you obtain a smooth and homogeneous dough.
- Extend a plastic bag on a surface, grease and place a dough ball in the center.
- Crush with your hands or with a kitchen board, add a generous spoonful of filling, close and mark the edges with a plate. Remove them from the plastic and fry them in hot oil while arming them.
- Once golden, your Colombian empanadas vallunas will be ready to eat them. Bon Appetite!